Code of Conduct
"Ramshackle Town" in this document refers to the Ramshackle Town Mastodon instance at https://ramshackle.town. "The administrators" refers to the administrators of this server: currently @firstname.lastname@example.org and @email@example.com.
Ramshackle Town is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all Ramshackle Town spaces, including public channels, private channels, and direct messages, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the administrators.
Types of Harassment
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, immigration status, religion, or other identity marker; this includes anti-Indigenous/Nativeness and anti-Blackness
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering or use of "dead" or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they're not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g., textual descriptions like "hug" or "backrub") without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
- Jokes that resemble the above (such as "hipster racism") still count as harassment even if meant satirically or ironically
- Microaggressions, which take the form of everyday jokes, put downs, and insults that spread humiliating feelings to people of marginalized groups
The administrators will not act on complaints regarding:
- "Reverse"-isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia"
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone", "go away", or "I'm not discussing this with you"
- Communicating in a "tone" you don't find congenial
- Criticism of racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of Ramshackle Town, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact an administrator (listed at the top of this document) directly or file a report using the Mastodon reporting system (click the "..." on a post and then use the reporting feature).
The admins reserve the right to exclude people from Ramshackle Town based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Ramshackle Town spaces and behavior towards people who are not in Ramshackle Town. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Ramshackle Town spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Ramshackle Town members or the general public.
The administrators reserve the right to update the Code of Conduct at any time at their discretion. Updates to the Code of Conduct will be communicated to users via email and posts from admin accounts. If you have any concerns about or suggestions for the Code of Conduct, please contact an administrator via DM.
This Code of Conduct was adapted from the Friend Camp
Code of Conduct, which was in turn adapted from the LGBTQ in Tech Code of Conduct; as such is licensed using a Creative Commons Zero License, meaning the contents are in the public domain.